Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Hormones Making the Decisions

When I was working as a sacred prostitute, I read a very useful book called “The Alchemy of Love and Lust”. It’s about sex hormones and how they shape your feelings.

Oxytocin is a powerful hormone. It is secreted at orgasm, and in massive quantities when a woman is giving birth. Its psychological effect is to create bonding – a very positive thing as far as evolution goes.

The problem is, sometimes we get bonded to people that we have no business bonding with, just because oxytocin is directing the show. I remember one session with a client who was a lot of fun. We were lying together quietly in each other’s arms, after having a really good time with each other. He was fun, good-looking, and we had great chemistry with each other. Sometimes my work was not much like work!

As we lay there, I started thinking about asking him to end our client relationship and start a lover/dating relationship.

Then I said to myself, “No, this is oxytocin talking. I’ll wait three days, and if I still want to do this, I’ll call him them.”

In three days, I had forgotten all about him.

2 comments:

O said...

You are so right about the oxytocin, and how it can make you bond with the wrong person.

Selena Truth said...

Whoa, that sounds like bitter experience talking!